Sunday, March 14, 2010

Reflections on the Big 12 Tournament

The vision of Sprint Center and the revitalization of downtown Kansas City was a reality over the past four days. Fans from across the region filled the streets of downtown KCMO for mens and womens Big 12 tournament action. And, the mens championship final last night between Kansas and Kansas State was a boon for local businesses as fans of the two local schools invaded the Power & Light District adjacent to the arena. It was an electric night, both inside and outside the arena, yesterday.

- Why it is okay to have alcohol in the suites at Sprint Center for the tournament but not in the general seating areas of the arena? I'm not sure I understand the logic.

- It's too bad Marcus Morris got into foul trouble in game two of the tournament. He was arguably the best player on the floor last night and deserved recognition on the all-tournament team.

- I'm glad I was at the game live and didn't have to watch and listen to Bob Knight and Brent Musberger calling the game on ESPN. Once again, I've heard that they did a less-than-stellar job with the broadcast. (It's a triangle-and-two defense which KU employed, Bob--not a zone and not a man-to-man.)

- Who was that sitting next to Wayne Simien and his father behind the Kansas bench? Former Kansas player, and Simien teammate, Michael Lee...

- The crowd was pro-KU, but not by much. I'd estimate a 60-40 split between the fans of the two schools.

- I like when the KSU band plays the "Wabash Cannonball."

- And, I never tire of seeing my team win basketball championships.

No comments:

Post a Comment