Wednesday, April 7, 2010

24

I hate to say this--I mean, it's heresy for a devoted fan like me--but, perhaps it is time for 24 to retire and go away.

Monday night's episode was riveting television, as usual, and featured the death of a primary character from this season's story. However, Season 8 has featured a CTU mole, an attached storyline which seemed to have nothing to do with the primary focus of the season, the usual "it'll take me 20 minutes to get there" (even though this season is set in New York) and now the return of a major character from seasons past. All of these pieces are regurgitated plot twists which devoted fans of 24 have seen once too often.

I'll continue to tune in because I still believe it's the best weekly network hour on television. It's clear now, though, that each season has become tougher and tougher to write for, thus the need for the show to be closed out from the small screen before the unthinkable "jumping the shark" occurs--none of us would want Jack Bauer to go out that way.

Seven hours are left in this season's "day," with the conclusion on Monday, May--fittingly--24.

No comments:

Post a Comment