Forty years ago today, the
Here are a few:
- Michael Collins, NASA astronaut, when the Eagle, the name given for the lunar module, undocked from the command module Columbia, “Okay, Eagle…you guys take care.”
- Charlie Duke, NASA astronaut at NASA headquarters in
- Neil Armstrong, “Houston…Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”
- The late, great Walter Cronkite, “Oh, boy.” Cronkite uttered the words after hearing that Neil Armstrong had successfully navigated the lunar module to the Moon’s surface.
- Armstrong, “That’s one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind.” The first man on the moon supposedly intended to say “that’s one small step for a man” but forgot the “a” during the excitement of the moment.