Saturday, May 16, 2009

Quote of the day

In honor of the graduation ceremony today for the University of Kansas William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications, we use the following from William Allen White:

"I was most sensitive, deeply sensitive to the beauty I saw as I stood many a quarter of an hour on the porch of the University on Mount Oread looking over the Kaw Valley for miles and miles. On a clear day, with proper light, one could see the smoke in Kansas City. I had never been so high above the environing plain in my life before, and I had never before seen so much land. It was a lovely prospect and it moved me deeply."

This quote appears in White's autobiography and, of course, describes the beauty he experienced in Lawrence while at the University of Kansas.

White, of Emporia, KS, was a well-known newspaper editor, author and politician who spoke for "middle America" during the eras of World War I and World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment