- Did you see that rumors are flying that Ellen DeGeneres has demanded a clothing allowance for her stint on American Idol? Celebrity blogger Perez Hilton is reporting that DeGeneres thinks it's only fair given that previous judge, Paula Abdul, had such an allowance.
- By the way, is it just me or is this year's field of contestants in Idol the worst ever?
- I'm not sure how this one slipped by me (no pun intended) earlier this month. In Minnesota, a farmer created a half-mile heart out of cow manure as a Valentine's Day gift for his wife. The wife called the heart the "biggest and most original" Valentine she's ever received. Indeed...
- If you need further proof that the world of airline travel continues to change dramatically, American Airlines has quietly instituted a policy of charging $8 for blankets on board their flights.
- And, on the topic of air travel, I'm not too sympathetic to director Kevin Smith's public campaign against Southwest Airlines. Smith was booted off a recent Southwest flight because the pilot thought Smith was too big to occupy a single seat. (Smith had apparently booked a flight, buying two seats, but then flew standby and had only one seat on his new flight.) I know it's politically incorrect, but what of the traveler, or travelers, sitting next to Smith? Do they get a refund or discount on their seat, of which they are now not 100% occupying?
- Finally, happy birthday to the most loved actress of her generation, Elizabeth Taylor. Taylor, who turns 78 today, is the standard for any definition of "movie star." Taylor starred in such films as Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, Cleopatra, Butterfield 8 and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, winning Oscars for the latter two films. Her off-screen life was the stuff of pop culture legend, having married seven times including her tempestuous love affair with Richard Burton. Interestingly Taylor has a regional connection as both of her parents were from Arkansas City, Kansas.
Here is a video tribute to Taylor: