Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Birthday, Coach!

John Wooden, regarded as the best college basketball coach ever, turned 99 in Los Angeles on Wednesday. While Wooden has a legacy of success as witnessed by his 10 national championships at UCLA, his coaching and life principles have touched far more people than those who played for him or coached with him.

In honor of Coach Wooden’s birthday this week, we provide excerpts of Wooden’s wisdom from an article published in 2000 in Esquire magazine.

- “Discipline yourself and others won’t need to.”

- “You can do more good by being good than any other way.”

- “If I were ever prosecuted for my religion, I truly hope there would be enough evidence to convict.”

- “Passion is momentary; love is enduring.”

- “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.”

- “If I am through learning, I am through.”

- “Don’t let making a living prevent you from making a life.”

- “I had three rules for my players: No profanity. Don’t criticize a teammate. Never be late.”

Happy Birthday, Coach Wooden!

No comments:

Post a Comment