Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Inside 9/11: Zero Hour"

The documentary, "Inside 9/11: Zero Hour" aired tonight on the National Geographic Channel. The re-telling of the events of that fateful day in 2001 brought chills to me as I viewed it.

The stories came flashing back--the Hassidic Jew and the Muslim who helped each other on the street when World Trade Center tower one came crashing down; the widow re-telling the tale of her husband's bravery on flight 93 over western Pennsylvania; the awful sights of bodies falling to their deaths from the burning towers; the chirping of the electronic transmitters on hundreds of firefighters' bodies, buried in the rubble, the morning after the crashing of the towers.

I think of those on the streets I walked just last week in lower Manhattan and the horror of seeing the drama of this terrorist attack unfolding on that fateful day. Viewing this documentary depressed me...but I found myself having to watch. It made me realize how our world has so dramatically changed in the wake of 9/11. We will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment