Friday, June 12, 2009

T.G.I.F. musings

Last night's TV fare highlighted why the summer months are hit-and-miss in the programming department.

Perhaps the most entertaining content of the evening was over on Bravo. How many have watched The Fashion Show? Goodness, where do they find these people who are "contestants?" Merlin is a real-life incarnation of Chris Kattan's "Mango" character from SNL and Johnny R. is what John Belushi would have looked like had he done "Samurai Fashion Designer." As we've written before, this knock-off on Project Runway is not even in the same league as the Heidi Klum/Tim Gunn-hosted version on Lifetime.

Prior to The Fashion Show last night was a "reunion" show for Real Housewives of Orange County. It's the first time I've caught even a few minutes of the show--lots of big blond hair. And, the Mom whose solution to her daughter's desire to go into the military--"why don't we take a trip to Greece!?" Huh?

Cruising the channels, we had a special on fast food joints in the U.S. on one of the food networks. The first vignette focused on a doughnut shop in Portland, OR where marriage ceremonies are also performed. Interesting and entertaining. The next, though, was a segment on a Sonic in Tyler, TX. OK, so the carhops skate out to the cars. But, it's a Sonic! Not exactly unique.

My point--Mad Men, Runway and other quality summer programming can't come soon enough. The third installment of Mad Men begins in August as does Runway. I wish it was sooner...

1 comment:

  1. This is obviously a delayed comment... I'm catching up on your postings! I had to laugh when I read your comments about "The Fashion Show"... your comparison of Merlin to Mango is spot on and I can't believe I didn't think of it before now! Also, love the comparison of Johnny to Belushi's Samurai character. I agree, that show does not compare to "Project Runway."

    You brought up the "Real Housewives of Orange County"... I didn't watch that show much when it was on, but I've watched every episode of "The Real Housewives of New Jersey" - now THAT show is entertainment! The finale aired this past Tuesday and it was priceless!! The drama was intense... they're re-playing it over and over this week, so be sure and catch it if you can. Also, tonight at 8pm CST they're showing the unaired footage. I know you have better things to do (like visit winneries in CA), but just in case... ;) LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete