Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, blog followers! I wish you all the very best in 2010 and hope that you had a safe and enjoyable New Years Eve last night.

Here are my January 1 musings as I sit here awaiting the onslaught of college football over the next few hours and days.

- God love Dick Clark for continuing the tradition of New Years Rockin' Eve on ABC. But, I have to admit, there were times it was uncomfortable seeing Clark on camera and it was often hard to follow what he was saying. I do think it's great that he wants to be on with fellow host Ryan Seacrest.

- How about those people who claim to have stood in Times Square since the wee hours of the morning of December 31? Do you truly have nothing better to do and does the viewing of the dropping ball mean that much? I'm sorry...I just don't get it.

- On the topic of how one spends their time, I spent two hours and 40 minutes yesterday at a theater watching Avatar. And, for the majority of that time I was bemoaning the fact that I could have seen Sherlock Holmes, Up In the Air or stayed home to watch Missouri and Navy in the Texas Bowl. The special effects of Avatar are extraordinary. The story, however, borrows from every Hollywood stereotype and is a clear political statement on American colonialism. There's even a visual metaphor for the 9/11 tragedy of the twin towers blowing up and falling thrown in for good measure. The 3-D is amazing but the movie would get two stars (out of four) on my ratings scale.

- Hoaky perhaps but the Tournament of Roses Parade is still very, very cool. And, regardless of the teams involved, I always enjoy watching The Rose Bowl--it truly is the granddaddy of bowl games. The imagery always seems to showcase the best of southern California--or maybe it's just the fact that it's typically sunny and warm there and freezing here in the Midwest.

- I always use this post-Christmas time to clean up, organize and purge files and things which I've kept around from the prior year or longer. As I went through my usual clean-up, I came across items which caused me to both laugh...and cry. A class paper written by my then young son recounting our ski trip to Utah. A high school theme paper written by my daughter about her father. And, a handwritten letter to me, from my father, after a visit from my parents when I lived in Florida early in my professional career. I encourage you all to find the items like this which are special to you and to read them as you consider the new year ahead. Happy New Year, one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment