ABC stuck to its formulaic approach to Dancing With the Stars when it announced this season's lineup of competitors. As in years past, this season will feature celebrities from sports, politics, comedy, reality TV and movies, and will once again include a "senior adult." However, unlike last season, this eclectic mix does not boast star power or personal mini-dramas comparable to last spring with personalities like Erin Andrews, Kate Gosselin, Evan Lysacek, Jake Pavelka and Pamela Anderson.
No, this season we get the following:
- Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino. Seriously?
- Jennifer Grey. The Dirty Dancing star fills the 50-something slot in the DWTS formula.
- David Hasselhoff. The Hoff must be trying to set a record for most reality TV show appearances.
- Rick Fox. Resident eye candy for the ladies.
- Florence Henderson. See Cloris Leachman.
- Bristol Palin. Okay...even more seriously--seriously!?
- Michael Bolton. He'll fill the nice guy role along with former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner.
- Audrina Partridge. Resident eye candy for the gentlemen.
- Brandy. "You're a fine girl..." (Look it up on lyrics.com)
- Margaret Cho. The comedian of the lineup.
- Kyle Massey. Uh, I don't watch The Disney Channel.
I have to admit that I'm surprised. After what appeared to be a very solid season with plenty of interest and intrigue, we get the above group of head-scratching players from ABC. Color me disinterested.