The common belief in college football is that the biggest improvement a team makes is between week one and week two. If so, what does that make week three? For a team like the Kansas Jayhawks, it's the test of "which team are you...really?"
- Kansas over Southern Mississippi. My optimism is that the real Jayhawks played in Lawrence last weekend, upsetting Georgia Tech and making what may be the biggest turnaround ever in a week--rebounding from a loss to a Division 1AA team to beating a top 15 team. Southern Miss is a team which is a lot like Kansas--an offense which operates out of the spread and isn't afraid to play fast to a defense built on speed and attacking. I think the Jayhawks handle prosperity and win by six.
- Kansas State vs. Iowa State at Arrowhead. Farmageddon II is the billing. But, this matchup is hardly marquee material. Look for KSU to win by 10.
- Missouri over San Diego State. Another home game for MU, another win.
- Texas over Texas Tech. This will be one of the best games of the weekend. It's Tommy Tuberville's first crack at UT since taking over at Tech, and the game is at Lubbock. The last time these two teams played on the south Plains, Michael Crabtree was seen tiptoeing into the endzone and the stands were emptying fans out onto the field. It won't happen tomorrow.
- Nebraska over Washington. Jake Locker against NU's tough D. This will be another fun game to watch--look for the Huskers in a close one.
- TCU over Baylor. This is a trendy upset pick but the Bears have not yet ascended to a place where they can compete with TCU. And, the game's being played in Ft. Worth.
- Oklahoma over Air Force. This is one of those possible "gotcha" games--sandwiched in between OU's romp over Florida State last week and a visit to Cincinnati followed by Texas in Dallas. The Sooners will win--sloppily.
- Colorado over Hawaii. The Buffs rebound against Hawaii, who not only invades the mainland...but also the altitude.
- Oklahoma State over Tulsa. The final in this game will read like a basketball score.
- Texas A&M over Florida International. This is A&M's final tune-up before Okie State, Arkansas and Missouri.
- Florida over Tennessee. Remember when this game meant something?
- Notre Dame over Michigan State. You could maybe call this an upset pick, but I don't think so.
- Iowa over Arizona. The Hawkeyes continue on their path of challenging Ohio State for the Big Ten championship.