Monday, July 26, 2010

Reflections from the North Woods - vol. 2

- Coming to Minnesota is an exercise in nostalgia for me. My family came to Minnesota each summer from the time I was able to walk through my high school years and our visits were true, extended family affairs. My grandparents went every year and we were often joined by aunts, uncles, cousins and other family friends. I learned to fish from my father who learned to fish from my maternal grandfather--when I was young, the three of us typically were out on the lake together. My grandfather had a Zen-like approach to fishing--he was calm, he was calculated, and he always seemed to know where to go on the lake, as if he were some sort of "fish whisperer." I learned patience from him and caught my first bass under his tutelage. There is something supremely relaxing being out on a boat; on a calm, natural lake; with a fishing line in the water. And, being out there, reeling in a bass or crappie, brings back vivid memories of my "Pappy."

- Did you know that actor Jared Harris, who plays Lane Pryce on Mad Men, is the son of famous actor Richard Harris? Yeah, I didn't either...

- The Old Spice campaign is one where I'd like to say, "yeah, I did that."

- Target is now in Manhattan--no, not Kansas but Manhattan on the island of New York. The new store is on the eastern edge of Harlem and not far from the Upper East Side. More than 100,000 people live within a mile of the new store and Target executives feel they can co-exist with the various mom-and-pop businesses which are a staple of America's biggest city. "This is more about your weekend stock-up," said John Griffith, Senior Vice President, Property Development. "Your butcher, your baker, your deli, you'll still go there."

No comments:

Post a Comment