Friday, August 14, 2009

John Hughes

We are a bit tardy here in not paying homage to director John Hughes, who died last week of a heart attack at age 59.

Hughes, of course, had major 1980’s and early 1990’s films like The Breakfast Club, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Sixteen Candles and Pretty In Pink to his directing credit.

Actress Molly Ringwald, star of Sixteen Candles and Pretty In Pink, had this to say in a New York Times op-ed piece about her good friend and director, “John saw something in me that I didn’t even see in myself. He had complete confidence in me as an actor, which was an extraordinary and heady sensation for anyone, let alone a 16-year old girl. I did some of my best work with him. How could I not? He continually told me that I was the best, and because of my undying respect for him and his judgment, how could I have not believed him?”

No comments:

Post a Comment