Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The life of a blogger

Wow!  I'm sorry, dear readers, but I just realized that it's been almost two full weeks since I last posted here at Musings, Notes & Quotes.  What's up with that, you ask?  Well, I think it's a combination of writer's block and time.

It's hard to continue to find compelling content with which to populate this three-plus-year-old site.  But, I believe I have something which will get you excited and exclaim, "that's more like it!"

What I found was this enthralling bit of data from The New York Times Magazine.  Did you know that flip flops are called by different names in different parts of the world?  Unbelievably, neither did I!

In Arizona, they're referred to as "showershoes."  Who knew?  Further west in California and Hawaii, wearers call them "go-aheads."  Perhaps the footwear is called that as they tend to leave your feet and "go-ahead," as they fit very loosely.

"Thongs" are the descriptor of choice in Texas and New York, not to be confused, of course, with a ladies' undergarment by that same name.  East Texans, those folks better known for their ability to breed roses, call 'em "tweeny-toes."  Isn't that cute and oh so Texan?

Finally, in San Diego, they are called "Lord boards."  Perhaps those in SoCali use that term as reference to the sandal favored by Jesus and their love of surfing?

There, now, wasn't that worth waiting for?  I promise to not take as long a respite next time but also pledge to continue to mine the various media outlets for this type of quality content to which you've grown accustomed.

Stay thirsty (for Musings, Notes & Quotes), my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment