Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mid-week musings

- Happy Birthday to Lee Ann Womack, who turns 44. Womack's "Last Call" is an all-time great country song.

- Rumor has it that Jason Whitlock had one too many dust-ups with Kansas City Star management and thus his extended vacation has now turned into his formal departure.

- Color me blown away that Brett Favre didn't stay retired. Seriously, the guy is still one of my top five all-time favorite NFL players, but this annual mini-drama was old two years ago.

- Did you hear about the inebriated 19-year old moron who, at Disney's California Adventure last night, joked with friends, "Wouldn't it be funny if I fell?" as he waited in line at Tower of Terror. He then, of course, did fall--about 20 feet to the ground. No worries--he only suffered some abrasions, looking very stupid in the process.

- If you liked Sydney Pollack's 1975 classic, Three Days of the Condor, you'll love AMC's Rubicon, the series which debuted on August 1 in the Sunday evening time slot prior to Mad Men.

- Speaking of Condor, one of my favorite movie lines was uttered by Joe Turner (Robert Redford) in that movie: "Listen, I work for the CIA. I am not a spy. I just read books! We read everything that's published in the world. And we feed the plots--dirty tricks, codes--into a computer. And, the computer checks against actual CIA plans and operations. I look for leaks. I look for new ideas. We read adventures and novels and journals. Who'd invent a job like that!?"

- Who are my other favorite, top five, all-time NFL players, you ask? In no particular order: Gale Sayers, Willie Lanier, Dan Marino, Lance Alworth and Favre.

- ESPN Magazine's College Football issue is on newsstands. And, in the magazine, several college players are asked a variety of questions. On the question of favorite uniform, Oregon's multi-option unis were the favorite. Wyoming's brown and baby puke yellow were the least favorite duds.

No comments:

Post a Comment